homeWorld

Boko Haram attacks two Christian villages, kills at least two

(Reuters/Afolabi Sotunde)Writings describing Boko Haram are seen on the wall along a street in Bama, in Borno, Nigeria August 31, 2016.

At least two people were killed in an attack on the two Christian villages of Kuburumbula and Boftari by suspected members of terror group Boko Haram last Monday. The assailants also burned houses, vandalized business establishments and destroyed food at the market.

A man named Nkekina Lalai was killed in the assault on the Christian majority village of Kuburumbula.

Pastor Filibus, Chairman of the Christian Association of Nigeria in Chibok, said that the crime happened at 4 p.m. "The insurgents burnt seven houses, vandalized shops, and set some products ablaze by the market square," Filibus told International Christian Concern (ICC).

In the attack on Boftari, a man named Mallum Tela Madu was tied up with a rope and killed in front of his wife and children.

Last week, eight people were charged at by Boko Haram members as they were leaving the church in Kwamjilari.

ICC Regional Manager William Stark expressed his grief for the lives lost in the incidents. 

"For the second week in a row, we are mourning the loss of Christians in Nigeria who were murdered by Boko Haram militants," said Stark, adding, "This string of attacks has us deeply concerned for the safety of our Christian brothers and sisters in the Chibok area of Nigeria's northeast."

In 2014, Boko Haram kidnapped 276 girls from the village of Chibok. Earlier this month, Information Minister Lai Mohammed stated that the government is prepared to swap prisoners for the schoolgirls. The government failed to negotiate the release of the schoolgirls last year.

In an interview with The Guardian, Mohammed gave his assurance that the government is now negotiating through proper channels.

"We are confident that we have a grasp of the divisions in the group, so when there have been setbacks in the negotiations we have known why," Mohammed said.

Last Wednesday, the Nigerian Army announced the launch of "Operation Rescue Final" to retrieve those who were abducted by Boko Haram. The Chief of Army Staff, Lt. Gen. Tukur Buratai, made the announcement when he was visited by the House of Representatives Committee on Army.

Buratai thanked the committee for increasing the army's budget and asked for more support, Punch reports. He promised that the army will not infringe on the people's rights during the operations.

Go to the Home Page

Top News

Inside Christian Times